Colocation is a common practice of housing one’s own server equipment in a specialized data center. It is used by both large IT companies and any organizations that have their own server equipment but lack the appropriate space or conditions for its installation and proper functioning. Today, we will take a closer look at the essence of «colocation» its characteristics, who specifically needs this service, and how to choose a reliable data center that will meet all your needs.
What does «colocation» mean?
Colocation is a special type of hosting where the client (company or organization) rents space, electricity, high-speed internet connectivity, and infrastructure from a data center to house their server equipment. This service is popular for companies that have their own server hardware but do not want or have the ability to build and maintain their own data center. It allows them to benefit from the physical placement of servers in a professional environment with high reliability, security, and infrastructure availability.
To support a large amount of server equipment in data centers, special conditions are created that are quite challenging to provide and maintain in a regular office. Typically, they have independent power sources, video surveillance systems, and remote equipment monitoring. Additionally, data center facilities maintain specific temperature conditions and good ventilation, ensuring proper functioning of the entire system. Another important requirement is cleanliness without dust, which is a crucial factor for uninterrupted server operation.
What are the advantages of hosting servers in a data center?
By opting for colocation, you gain the following benefits:
- ensuring a high level of security and reliability for equipment housing;
- protection of server equipment from power outages;
- provision of fast and stable internet connectivity;
- obtaining guarantees of uninterrupted operation for the equipment located in the data center;
- the ability to configure and upgrade your equipment by provider experts;
- 24/7 technical support;
- cost savings.
Who is the «colocation» service suitable for and what is it used for?
As mentioned before, the «сolocation» service is suitable for various types of companies and organizations, especially those that have their own server equipment and require reliable and uninterrupted housing for it. Among them are:
- IT companies. Large and medium-sized IT companies that develop and provide their own software products or services often require extensive server resources. For them, colocation becomes an effective solution as it allows them to place their server equipment in a specialized data center with a reliable infrastructure and high-speed connectivity.
- High-traffic businesses. Internet portals, websites, e-commerce stores, and other businesses with high traffic volumes that require stable and fast connectivity also find benefits in colocation. Housing servers in a data center ensures reliability, speed, and security, enabling optimal performance of their websites and applications.
- Financial institutions. Banks, insurance companies, and other financial institutions have high requirements for data security and reliability. They often use colocation services to store and process confidential information on their own servers located in secure data centers with high levels of data protection.
- Scientific and research organizations. Institutions involved in scientific research or requiring significant computing resources for processing complex tasks can also benefit from colocation services. Placing their servers in a high-performance data center allows them to efficiently carry out computational tasks and ensure uninterrupted equipment operation.
Furthermore, the colocation service can be advantageous for any company that wishes to reduce costs associated with building and maintaining its own data center while ensuring reliability, speed, and security for their server equipment.
What do you need to know when planning to use server colocation services?
- What business tasks will the service address?
- What capacity of data processing center do you require?
- What are your data security requirements for the data center?
It is also important to evaluate the location where you plan to house the server equipment, its power capabilities, and network coverage.
You have the opportunity to learn more about the colocation service from SERVER.UA experts in Kyiv or through the data center’s website, where you can ask any questions via the online chat.